Thursday 17 December 2009

The horrible bone marrow test!

"As Multiple myeloma is a disorder in which plasma cells are produced in an uncontrolled and invasive (malignant) fashion. Plasma cells develop from lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell. They are found primarily in the bone marrow and lymph nodes"


The doctors needed to do the bone marrow test to see how far the disease had progressed. It involved a large needle being placed into his hip to extract the cells. Apparently my dad had a very hard hip bone, which meant the nurse really struggled to get the needle in, after 7 attempts she called a doctor to help her out!

My dad was in agony for MONTHS after and still feels the pain- now im not saying it was directy thr result of this test but it could not have helped the matter. After the anaesthics wore off he couldnt sit, lie down or anything.

For the first time in my life, i saw my dad the strong, keen sportsman, looking so helpless...and every part of my ached. I have 2 sisters, we all handle things differently i guess. One of my sisters carried on with her everyday life like nothing had happend which annoyed me GREATLY! and the other, well it was difficult to say... I needed to know everything, read everything...but also in the back of my mind I was also thinking about what would happen if he didnt pull through , how would I look after my mum and the house and everything that my dad looks after. I dony think you every really think about life without your parents until something like this happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment